Friday, January 8, 2010

hunting in cakes and Magdalena Abakanowicz


I had a dream last night that my landlord (and friend) gave me a present for Christmas -- a cake with a baby rattle hidden inside. I had to go hunting in the cake for the rattle.  It was as if the cake was the wrapping paper. I knew that something was inside.  I pulled out the baby rattle and felt embarrassed.

I looked up the words "giant loom" in google and stumbled upon the name of an artist who I had never heard of before. Her name is Magdalena Abakanowicz. She is a polish artist who creates giant woven sculptures (and also uses metal) using big l melancholy shapes and faceless people.  I will be writing more on her soon when I read more about her.  Here are a few images I've taken from her website.  She is prolific. I highly recommend that you check our this website.


EMBRYOLOGY AT THE VENICE BIENNALE 1980
1978-1980, Burlap, cotton gauze, hemp rope, nylon and sisal
Approximately 800 pieces: from 4 to 250 cm long
Collection of the artist




 




AGORA
2005-2006, iron
106 figures 285-295 x 95-100 x 135-145 cm
Permanent installation in Grant Park, Chicago




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers