Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Starting off right




While seeing the Viola Frey show at the Gardiner Museum of Ceramics this afternoon I declared to my amazing friend Amy Gaizauskas that I will start using my blog to keep track of what I'm working on and what I'm interested in.  I've started and stopped blogs in the past, but I'm going to try to keep myself on track with this one. Excuse my rusty writing.  I'm already feeling self conscious. 

The following images are of Viola Frey and her sculpture work.  Amy and I both really enjoyed the show.  Some of her peices include casts of objects she had collected (toys and figures).  I thought that was pretty neat, especially after I read that she is rumoured to have not actually created the molds herself but acquired them from a defunct ceramic factory.















I love the very serious look on her face.  She is having a staring competition with her own figure in the photo on the right. 

I wonder if her larger than life figures are hollow. Seeing them up close the seams are visible. I'm guessing she fired each section of the figure separately?  One of her large, stoic male figures had her handprint on the back of it.  The write up with the work descibred the handprint as being symbolic of the silent female presence that helps to make a man what he is... that takes care of him and keeps him going.

1 comment:

  1. what an amazing show. i can't stop thinking about it. i was trying to describe some of the amazing colleges to josh, but words defy....

    i'm excited to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Followers