Thursday, December 31, 2009

alexander calder, nye, goat cheese omlette

I woke up this morning miraculously cured from my nasty cold/flu. I met up with my beautiful friends Amy L and Myera at Aunties and Uncles. All three of us had the omlette special of the day, goat's cheese, spinach and caramelized red onions.  I seriously can't get enough of their challah bread, with jam of course. 




Why is it so difficult to make concrete plans for NYE?  We finally decided to meet up at Three Speed, then some of us are going to see Elliot Brood and Lee's and we're all hoping to meet up at Holy Oak.  I've never been to Holy Oak, here are some nice photos take from the blogto review of Holy Oak.






After Breakfast Amy and I swung by Lettuce Knit in Kensington Market. I picked up a cute little pack of bits of yarn and unspun wool that I'll use to weave.



We strolled down to the AGO and came across an amazing show, Alexander Calder: The Paris Years.  He was a master of using simple line to create drawings with so much personality. We were both impressed by his wire portraits. The portraits below are of Fernand Leger, Joan Miro and Edgard Varese.






The exhibition claimed that Calder invented the mobile. I actually had thought that this style of mobile belonged to Joan Miro.


I found Calder's other mobiles on display were equally as interesting, such as the one below that has a hand crank made out of wire. Unfortunately we couldn't crank the crank to see the movement.





Calder also created an intricate wire-figure flea-like circus. He created small kinetic toy-like sculptures and actually  "performed" a circus in front of a camera.  A group of children watching were completely intrigued and were laughing and "oo-ing" and "ahh-ing". Here is footage of his circus from the Whitney.




Here's a slide show of images of little kiddie's artwork inspired by Alexander Calder's circus.



HAPPY NEW 2010!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers