Saturday, December 26, 2009

I am having quiet time

Boxing Day





I'm back from 4 days of family holiday goodness and I'm basking in the dim glow of my droopy Christmas tree, surrounded by boundless rolls of lifesavers, hershey kisses and foil wrapped santas.







My highlights of the holidays:
  1. my 3 year old nephew pooping in his pants by the christmas tree after my mom singing a song where the chorus is "everyone body poops!". 

  2. Joe managed to find a wife Christmas card that says something about me having a nice butt.

  3. My nana's  80 year old boyfriend voluntarily choose the Ouija Board during the family board game gift exchange game.
  4. I watched the USA spelling Bee Championships (although joe complained the whole time that they had become too commericial)




My goals this week:
  1. To start a wall weaving with my newly kool-aid dyed unspun wool
  2. To build (with the help of my dad) a sand animation table so I can play around with sand and other things... I have an ikea desk top that I'm going to cut a hole in and then lay a peice of plexiglass over the hole so that I can shoot light up from below the plexiglass.  I've done this before while teaching, but with a piece of plexiglas sitting between two chairs, which didin't work so well after a few days because the weight of the sane caused the plexiglass to sag.  Although, I know that Caroline Leaf worked with a light table.... i'm going to see if I can find a cheap one before I cut my tabletop.

    Here is Caroline Leaf's beautiful sand animation, The Owl Who Married  a Goose. I recommend viewing this in a quiet space, as the sound track is beautifully minimal and simple. This whole film is gorgeous.









    Here is an iteresting blog post I found by about the actually Inuit story the animation is based on. The blog belongs to Masha du Toit who lives in Cape Town, South Africa.  Another great post further explores Inuit stories and imagery.  I'm going to wrap up this post so I can read through this awesome blog. 






1 comment:

  1. now that's a good holiday!
    thanks for all my gifts, sis. i loved them all - i am also very excited about your official entrance into the blog world.

    ReplyDelete

Followers