Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New ceramic project

My ceramics class at Central Tech starts again tomorrow. The course is called "ceramic ideas and techniques", and this will be the third time I've taken it. I would call it more of an open studio, with a technician available for tips on technique and a technician that fires. So far I've only done hand building, but I'm planning on trying out the wheel. I've met so many wonderful, inspiration (sometimes a little kooky) ladies (the classes are almost exclusively women), a lot of them are fellow teachers.  It's very warm, relaxing atmosphere.

Since starting ceramics, almost everything I've done has been very geometric. I'm interested in the geometric randomness of crystal formations, which is why I loved Carly Waito's paintings of magnified crystals that I saw last week at Narwhal Art Projects as part of show called Little Crowns. Gorgeous.




I also love this chair I came across in the blog Design Milk. It was designed by Jethro Macey. (A awesome stool made by someone with an awesome name)





For my first ceramics project of the term I think I may create a scaled-down version of this piece I made form paper mache:


I was inspired by a copper cake pan:



Thanks again for reading. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers