Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cactus Crotch

My librarian friend Caroline Twittered (I refuse to use the word "Tweet". It makes me feel weird.) a link to a post on a blog called Awful Library Books.  The book below was written in 1991.
  

Here's another one...



Goodbye, I'm getting off the internet to listen to the riot grrrl comp "Free to Fight" compilation from 1995. Two 12" record where all the songs are about empowering women with self defense. You can download the entire double 12" compilation here. My favourite song on there is called "Target Practice".  It's kind of poppy.... the chorus is... "Eyes, ears, nose, throat. the eyes are easily poked, ouch!... i forget the rest" ... and says something about how to violently attack each body part.  

Riot Grrl was so awesome.  I need more of it in my life.  



In high school I copied this onto sticker paper and stuck it up in my high school.  Actually, Caroline and I would do this together.  We would also rollerblade a lot, pretending to be aliens (with our other awesome friend Amy). 

I wish I could go back to that tine when I had a more f-u attitude about my own body.  I wish riot grrrl was still alive or relavant so that my students could get that angry f-u attitude. I know I sound so adbusters right now, and it's not really cool to talk like this anymore, but I can see my students are being eaten alive with jealously and self-hatred. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers